Skip to Main Content

Change of Address Notification Requirement

Section 245 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) of 1990 requires that any alien in the United States provide the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with a current, valid address and report any address change to the USCIS within 10 days. An "alien" is defined as any person not a citizen or national of the United States. Therefore, this rule includes permanent residents. While this requirement has been on the books for a long time, it has been a very low priority; however, this has changed and Congress and law enforcement are now very interested in aliens in the U.S. The form designated for this reporting is the form AR-11. Presumably, if you just entered the country for the first time, you may have had only a temporary address when you entered and therefore you would need to report the address change once you settled into more permanent housing. Given the change in enforcement policy, you should not be concerned if you have not reported the address change sooner. The most current version of the Form AR-11 and the mailing address for that form is on the USCIS website at: You should send the form directly to the USCIS address listed on the form. Please notify this office as well if you are in J or F status.