Mission of the HRPP
The mission of the HRPP is to:
- Safeguard and promote the health and welfare of human research subjects by ensuring that their rights, safety and well-being are protected;
- Provide timely and high quality education for the RU research community;
- Review and monitoring of human research projects; and
- Facilitate excellence in human subjects research.
HRPP includes mechanisms to:
- Establish a formal process to monitor, evaluate and continually improve the protection of human research participants;
- Dedicate resources sufficient to do so;
- Exercise oversight of research protection;
- Educate investigators and research staff about their ethical responsibility to protect research participants; and
- When appropriate, intervene in research and respond directly to concerns of research participants.
Ethical Principles and Regulatory Guidelines Underpinning the HRPP
RU is committed to conducting research with the highest regard for the welfare of human subjects. It upholds and adheres to the principles of The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research by the National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects in Biomedical and Behavioral Research (1979). These principles are:
- Respect for Persons, which is ensured by obtaining informed consent, consideration of privacy, confidentiality, and additional protections for vulnerable populations.
- Beneficence, which ensures that possible benefits are maximized and possible risks are minimize to all human subjects.
- Justice, the equitable selection of study participants.
The HRPP is responsible for ensuring compliance with federal regulations, state law and institutional policies. All human subjects research at RU is conducted in accordance with the policy and regulations found in the 45 CFR 46 and 21 CFR 50 and 56. The actions of HRPP will also conform to the regulations and laws of New York State concerning the protection of human subjects in clinical investigations and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.